Latest Posts

V

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Brownville Freedom Run Race Recap

Brownville Half Marathon Freedom Run Race Recap

Jumping back to Thursday morning. I was sitting in my office the day after a 24 hour drive back from the Grand Canyon. I was only 3 days removed from the 30 miles of hiking up and down that canyon but my legs seemed to feel ok. I hadn't ran much in the last 2 weeks but I did plenty of hiking. I decided that morning I should do the half in Brownville on Friday July 4th. Apparently the 24 hour drive wasn't enough time in the car because Brownville was going to mean 3-4 more hours of driving. 

I arrived in the little community around 8:30 Thursday night with intentions of pitching a tent at the Recreation Area in town but it was flooded. I  drove about 15 miles to Indian Cave State park & set up camp in the dark. It was a great spot and an amazing night of stars to look out at from the tent. I got a good nights rest on the hammock & woke up around 5 ready to run. 

I got to the race with about an hour until gun time so I had plenty of time to get registered and drink some water. I had a Cliff bar and a few other little snacks before the run. The hour flew by and it was time to start. 
Miles 1 - 3
I'm not sure what the heck I was thinking on the first 3 miles. I came out way to fast, which I'm normally careful not to do. My opening mile was 6:34 and i was at the 3 mile mark by 20:51. My pace goal was 7:30 for the whole run.

Miles 4-6
By mile 4 the leaders were set and I was in a comfortable spot in 7th overall. From mile 3 to the finish I never passed anyone or had anyone pass me. There was a lot of lonely miles coming up. I 2 people in front of me until around mile 5 then they became out of sight. From the turn around point to the finish was just me and the people running the other direction. My splits came in at 7:20, 7:39, 7:42 hitting mile 6 at 43:42. 





Miles 7-9
This was an out & back half so i kept thinking after the turn around point I would get my second burst of energy that would last me thru mile 9. That did not seem to happen. I was getting ever more fatigued and running positive splits. 7:43, 7:50, 8:17

Miles 10 - 13.1
By now the sun was out fairly strong and the fatigue from the first 3 miles had set in good. I tried a new fuel that was upsetting my stomach. I ran the final 4 miles at under 8:20's. with my final 2 being 7:57 & 8:06. I finished at 1:40:37 - a 7:40/mile pace. I was first for my age group & 7th overall (5th male). Most importantly a new PR shaving 8 seconds off my last half marathon in October of 2013.

What I learned.
Don't start out so fast (what was i thinking?)
Prep fuel for the race (what i have used in training - nothing new)
Going to a new town & tent camping before a race is amazing.
Enjoy every run - good or bad. That is why we do this right. 
Running a half marathon in Brownville, NE is a great way to spend July 4th.

Coming up this weekend

July 12th 
10K in Cozad, NE 
Goal is a new PR (49:12)

July 13th
Lincoln Mile
Goal is under 5:20 
(last year time was 5:57)



I

No comments:

Post a Comment