Latest Posts

V

Friday, May 2, 2014

Marathon Training

Marathon Training

The Marathon


Here we are, 2 days from my first Marathon. 16 weeks ago I made the decision to train for a marathon. Since that day in January I have put in 507 Miles of pavement or treadmill pounding, "one foot in front of the other" motion. That is 72 hours of running, 4320 minutes of training and pushing myself with 1 race, 1 day in mind. So 300,000 times I answered the question "Keep Going?" with "Yes, one more step." 

Why?  

The Marathon sees right through any shortcuts or excuses. "We spend so much of our lives doubting ourselves, thinking that we’re not good enough, not strong enough, not made of the right stuff. The Marathon is an opportunity for redemption." Dean Karnazes 

Nebraska winters can produce all kinds of excuses not to run. But come marathon day,  the marathon will not take excuses. I have trained to keep going, even when it's hard, when it hurts, when it sucks and when I don't want to. Call it what you want: stubbornness, endurance, determination, guts. Deep down, i don't know how to give up.  72 hours is a lot of time to think and I have determined that the Marathon will defeat me if I'm not ready. It will leave me on the side of read, defeated as quickly as I signed up for it, if I let it.

The day is finally approaching & I have put in the miles. I have overcome so much in training & I feel I am ready. 

I am very excited for the challenge this weekend. I thank god for the ability to do this.

Thanks you to everyone who has supported & encouraged me. 



My goal for my first marathon is to: Have Fun & Finish  (sub 3:45:00 would be great tho!)





2 comments:

kate said...

Good luck! I haven't been running much lately and all the pre-marathon hype is making me definitely feel the pull to get back into it. Run your race and have fun!

Boston Bound Dad said...

Thank you Kate! I am very excited to run my race and enjoy it. Be sure to check back for my recap.

Post a Comment